Saturday, January 15, 2011

You Have to Admit: It Sells.


Trends come and go. In my very few years of life, even I have seen people's 15 minutes of fame rise and fall. For anyone getting into any form of entertainment, this idea must be evident in their minds. What is popular today will change in a week, a month, a year.
That being said, anyone getting into any form of entertainment should pay serious attention to the trends of their time. Regardless of whether they themselves like those trends or not, they have to admit that popular things sell better than unpopular things.
Take for example, comic book creator Jim Lee. He is easily the most popular superhero comic artist of the day. He isn't producing anything now that I know of, but many popular artists that are producing mimic his style in various ways. When he does a comic--or even just a cover--that comic WILL sell.
Lately, I've taken this fact into account. I would never say that Lee is my favorite artist or that he's a comics master, but I have to admit that his art looks really cool. After paying close attention to what he does, I've decided that it's in his rendering (adding of details through shadow, line, or texture) that he interests fans. I have a--loosely--similar drawing style to him, so I've begun to make attempts at mimicking some of his methods. This example is part of a Green Lantern pin-up that I pencilled.
Disclaimers:
1) Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.
2) Just because it's popular doesn't mean it will fit with your particular style.
3) Copying someone else's art isn't okay. If that artist is popular, people will totally see that your copying.


1 comment:

  1. I love point 3. So much :D For a while I wanted to channel Bruce Tim... until I realized I wanted to channel his simplicity and ability to draw what was important. Big difference.

    ReplyDelete