Monday, August 16, 2010

Lettering


Will Eisner is one of the greatest comic artists of all time. There, I said it. Now that that's out of the way, I can explain one of (out of a great plethora) the reasons why I hold to this. Eisner had a record for making the title of his books a part of the image (as opposed to imposing the words right on top of a separate image, as is customary). Having backgrounds and characters interact with the title of the book is not necessarily restricted to comics, but it is something that I've seen more in comics than film (some film examples might be the opening credit sequences in North by Northwest, The Great Muppet Caper, and Panic Room).
Some comics have even gone so far as to have the characters be so self aware that they acknowledge the existence of their captions and word balloons. The juxtaposition of word and image is so familiar to comics that something like what Eisner does can be used on a more regular basis, I think.

1 comment: