Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Ways We Sit

There are a surprising number of things that go into how a person sits down. I'm not talking about the muscle movement--that's a whole other post. What I'm talking about is the fact that hardly anyone sits with their back straight, eyes forward, hands folded in their lap, feet facing forward, with a pleasant expression on their face. I say "hardly" because I just drew someone who did exactly that, which brought this detail to my attention.
If a person is relaxed, they will sit differently than a person who is laughing. When a person is listening, their head might be forward a little. Lots of people talk with their hands, so if they are explaining something, that could have an effect. Lots of people slouch or shove their shoulders forward. Guys cross their legs one way, and girls cross them another. I've even heard that people will sometimes cross their legs towards the person they are attracted to, but I'm not sure how true that is. The point is this: all the different attitudes, personalities, emotions, physical dispositions, and tones of a scene determine how a person sits. I raided my photo reference library for a few examples of this: natural and posed.





1 comment:

  1. There's also the different types of chairs/seating. Like, you sit differently on a rock vs a bus seat vs a folding chair vs a la-z-boy.

    ReplyDelete